18 November 2006

Food, glorious food

I blogged yesterday about, eggs, bacon, chips and beans.

It's been a bit of a religious experience, looking at the pictures on Russell's blog. I've been thinking a lot about it now that my exams are out of the way. Now, I know it's not good for me. I have the paper work somewhere that my doctor gave me a couple of months ago, to get my cholesterol checked, and I still haven't had it done.

But, I can't help it. I love a good fry up.

I cooked kangaroo steaks for dinner tonight. Now, those of you that don't live in Australia might think we eat kangaroo here all the time. We don't, but we should. Imagine the best beef steak you've ever had, then make it more tender, take away the cholesterol and add heaps of protein and you've got kangaroo meat. Seriously, you could eat it with a butter knife, it's that tender.

Xena, the fat beagle and Dizzy, the evil cat, sat and watched every mouthful and didn't get a single morsel.

But, as good as Skippy tasted, it can't compare to a good old fry up. I don't know if it's my English heritage, but there's just something about egg and bacon (not bacon and eggs as the Yanks seem to like to call it).

I've seen menus with an Aussie breakfast listed on it, meaning an egg and bacon fry up. Sorry, but it's certainly not something unique to Australia. I bet every other country with a British background has a similar thing.

I had a pizza a few years ago from Pancho's Pizza in Bulimba, where I used to work (I worked in Bulimba, not Pancho's). They called it the Aussie Pizza. It had lots of bacon on it and on top was a fried egg. Best, pizza I've ever eaten, but calling it an Aussie pizza was a bit of a misnomer. Best pizza you'll ever eat, maybe, but I'm sure if it was sold in Britain it would be called something like the "all day breakfast pizza".

It's a bit like the Aussie meat pie. We like to think the meat pie is a traditionally Aussie delicacy (?), but you can get decent meat pies in other countries too and I'm not talking about the good old English pork pie either. Just ask Doddery about meat pies in New Zealand.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Aussie meat pies, I love meat pies, we've recently bought shares in a meat pie manufacturing company that just listed on the stock market, but uniquely Australian, no way.

Anyway, getting back to the original point of this post, eggs, bacon, chips and beans...
I've forgotten what the point was now. It had something to do with breakfast at Wimpy's in Hertford, but I can't remember why.

Are Wimpy's still around?

For some reason I've got the taste for a bit of spotted dick now. Anyone know where I can get a bit in Brisbane?

4 comments:

Dodderyoldfart said...

Ask a taxi driver...
*snigger*

Dave said...

I like pies from our local cut-price supermarket, made in their own bakery. Cheese and mince.
You were a bit mean not sharing with Xena and Dizzie.
Cheers, Dave.

David said...

How can you eat something you call'Skippy?'
I have eaten kangaroo now and then and always enjoyed it. Better than Croc.
Yea we do have Wimpey's here and there but pastie shops are more common round here in the South West.
I belive you had some SNOW in Qld last week, that must be a first.

Steve said...

Snow isn't that unusual in Stanthorpe, which is about 3 hours drive west of here and about 3000ft above sea level.

Getting snow only 2 weeks before summer starts, now that's a different matter.

I just hope it didn't damage the grape vines, they'll be starting to get fruit on them about now.