11 February 2007

Wildlife

We've had a little visitor to the garden just lately.

Dave, Doddery and Matt from NZ may recognise the bird in the first picture below, it's a Red-fronted Parakeet, or Kakariri. They're a native of New Zealand, but sadly they're becoming rare over there.



What's it doing in our backyard?

We suspect it may be an escapee from someone's aviary because you certainly don't see them in the wild usually. This one was very tame. When I took this photo I was just about close enough to rest the lens on the feeder, and this isn't the closest picture I took either.

It hasn't been around for the past couple of days, so it's either found its way back home (to the aviary, not NZ), someone has caught it (the males are worth about $400 to a breeder), or something has eaten it.

---------------

The cute little thing in the picture below is me. The other cute little thing is a baby Brushtail Possum.

My oldest step-daughter Jess, and her fiancee Brett, are wildlife carers. This little girl is an orphan and they've been looking after her for the past three or four weeks.



We were helping them move house yesterday, so I took my camera to make sure I got some photos. I think she saw the khaki coloured shirt and thought I was Steve Irwin or David Attenborough, definitely not Ranger Stacey. Once she climbs onto you and gets comfortable she's very hard to dislodge (the possum, not Ranger Stacey). it usually takes someone with a nicer arm to tempt her off. She seemed to like youngest step-daughter Sarah's arm a lot. It was Sarah that took this photo.

As she gets older she'll eventually be moved into a bigger cage with other possums and they'll be released back into the wild together. Releasing them in a group gives them a better chance of survival as they will look after each other.

6 comments:

Dave said...

Hi Steve. I wasn't able to see your pictures, which is a shame. Can you reload them? I know Blogger.com have had problems lately and I haven't been able to get my blogs to load properly either. Have missed a couple of days because of this.
That other 'bird' in your previous blog should be shot. Dave.

Steve said...

Dave,

It's not displaying properly for me either for some reason. I find if you right click on where the pic should be, then click on display picture it should work. You may get an error depending on your browser (I'm using Firefox), but if you click your back button it'll take you back to the blog and the pics will be there.

I agree about the other bird. There's usually a guy there doing that job called John, he was really helpful. I hope he hasn't left.

caramaena said...

Unfortunately I can't see them either. I tried your workaround but it's not working for me. I'm using Firefox on a Mac if that helps.

Steve said...

Bugger, looks like it might have been getting them from my hard drive before as it doesn't display at work either.

I'll try uploading them again tonight when I get home from work.

caramaena said...

Yay, it's working :)

Gorgeous colours on the parakeet.

Anonymous said...

Cute animals! Clearly, I am living in the wrong place.