23 March 2008

Don't laugh at my erection

It'll look better when it's on the roof. It won't be an eyesore either, I hope.



The rabbit's ears you can see in this picture are a Comet H-422 antenna. Up until now I've been using a couple of bits of wire hanging from the eaves in the back yard as my ham antenna. The trouble is, since I made the antenna and installed it, the trees have grown. I used to get really strong signals from New Zealand, but that doesn't happen now. Since putting the new antenna in the vege garden, I've been able to hear, Bolivia, Korea, Japan, the US and plenty of other stations that are closer.

Considering it's sitting in the back yard, that's not bad. Eventually it'll be up over the roof. I may even be able to contact my cousin Nicki's husband, Andy the anorak, 2E0HPO. By the way Andy, register, on QRZ.COM.

Now, if you aren't into amateur radio, if you aren't a ham, all the above is probably meaningless. Basically, what it means is, I'll now be able to chat to people all over the world on the wireless a lot better than I could before. When I say chat, I mean really talk to them, not like on MSN or ICQ, (is ICQ still around?).

Next weekend, my brother Laurie, VK4VCC, and I will be competing in the CQ WPX contest. That means, over a period of 48 hours, we'll be trying to contact as many hams around the world as possible. Sounds boring? It's a lot less boring than sitting in front of the tele and watching sport. you can still do it with a beer in your hand.

Oh, and contesting on the radio, it's a contact sport.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Should be fun Steve. When I was a scout leader we organised with the local Radio boys to join with us for Scouting Jamboree of the Air, over a weekend. They were very co-operative and the Scouts, Cubs and Guides, as well as leaders and the Radio boys all enjoyed the weekend. - Dave

Steve said...

A lot of hams are into JOTA. My brother Laurie has even got a heap of pictures on the web that he took of a jamboree of the air event a couple of years ago. It always gets a big mention in "amateur radio magazine" every year.

I think it's a good experience for all parties involved.