14 July 2009

Mail

We've been delivering junk mail for a few months now and we've seen a huge variety in letterboxes, some are great, some are really original, and some are absolutely useless for anything bigger than a postcard. I've even had a few that have fallen over or broken as soon as I touched them, must be a hard life being a letterbox.

There's a question I've been mulling over since we started doing the deliveries and I still haven't come up with an answer.

Why do letterbox manufacturers find it necessary to put the word 'letters' or 'mail' on the front of their product?

It's not like the postie is going to get confused and not know where to put the mail. Quite often the word is so big there's nowhere to put the house number, or a 'No Junk Mail' sticker. I'll admit I have seen a couple of letterboxes that could have done with a label on them, one was a metal pedal bin. I don't think I ever put anything in that one. If it had the number on it I might have, but then so does the wheelie bin.

2 comments:

Dogbait said...

"It's not like the postie is going to get confused"

You haven't seen the posties around here. Mentally challenged is the best description.

Steve said...

I have this theory that posties are afraid of the rain, that's why the mail always sticks out of the letterbox when it rains. But, I think they know what hole to stick things in, including the female posties :)