07 December 2010

How could I be so stupid?

I said in my last entry that I can now call myself a BSc.

Well I e-mailed the uni for conformation and they got back to me yesterday. Seems I should have read the course rules better. Even though I have enough subjects up (24 of them) to get a degree, not enough of them are at 300 level (third year).

Now you're probably thinking, how did you get that wrong? Surely you do your first year subjects first, then your second year subjects, etc. Well, yes ideally that's how you'd do it, especially if you're a full time student studying on campus. I started off part time, external, so my subjects have been all over the place. I actually did three first year subjects this year.

"Just do one more subject and get it out of the way", I hear you say. Well it's not as simple as that.

As I mentioned two posts ago, I have a good chance at a new job next year. That job would involve Donna and I moving to Melbourne for ten months, starting in March, while I do my training. This means I'm a bit restricted in what subjects I can pick, as there are residential schools and exams to take into consideration. My best option is a subject that has a res school in January/February and no final exam. It happens to be an interesting subject too. There are two minor problems with that option. Accommodation may be a bit hard to get then, as it's during the school holidays, that's the main problem, the other is that the subject isn't part of a zoology major. That means that, although I'd still qualify as a Bachelor of Science, it'd be without a major.

My next best option is to apply to do another subject at a different uni, like I did this year. I'd have to take time off for the exam, but there's no res school.

I haven't been camping in a long time, looks like I may be spending a week in a tent next year.

3 comments:

dogbait said...

That's too complicated for my feeble brain. I'm sure it will work out for you in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Steve - we wondered what had happened to you! Lousy luck with the subject mix - remember my third year was a bit of a mix&match at the time. Kara sends her sympathy - she's doing subjects she reckons she's no interest in to keep the criteria. At least you've got a good subject to do! Sorry about the degree, but pack warm woolies if you're camping in Armidale next winter... Cheers J & K.
(PS - does OUA offer any options you can use?)

Steve said...

John,
It'll all come down to whether UNE let me do a subject elsewhere and and whether I get the job at BoM. If I don't get the job, then I'll probably just do the subject I dropped last year in second semester this year. That way I'll still finish with a zoology major.