30 May 2007

Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be

I'm not sure who it was that sang that, but I can relate to it.

After spending four days at Lake Keepit looking at rocks, then four days at Arrawarra looking at the ocean, the birdlife, and the sealife, it made me realise that I don't really want to work as a geologist when I graduate. I've never gotten away from the wildlife side of things while I've been studying, but I think I've wasted a bit of time studying geology with the thought of getting a high paid job at the end of it. To get one of those high paid jobs I'd probably have to do a fly-in-fly-out roster based out of Perth spending two weeks at a time in the middle of a barren wasteland. Not my idea of heaven, especially considering I'll be in my mid to late forties by the time I graduate.

So I've withdrawn from the subjects I've been doing this semester and next year I'll be doing botany and zoology subjects, looking at living things. I'm not taking a complete break from studying though. I dug out an invertebrate zoology text book from two years ago and I'm reading that on the bus and during my lunch breaks. Invertebrate zoology was the subject I was studying when Donna and I first visited Arrawarra.

Spending that time on the beach and in the rock pools made me realise something else too. About twenty years ago I started a SCUBA diving course but never completed it as I missed out on the last dive. I've always been meaning to do the course again and so, in October when the water warms up, my brother Laurie and I are going to do the PADI open water course with Pro-Dive. Laurie's always wanted to learn to dive, but like me has never gotten round to doing it.

Because I'm so close to Moreton Bay, (if I was brave enough to get up on our roof I'd be able to see the water from home) I'm in an ideal place to go diving regularly. Now if I could only get a job working on the bay as well that would be great. It would certainly beat sitting at a desk all day and slowly going crazy from boredom.

No comments: