31 May 2007

RIP You Old Fart

I've been writing this blog now for close to a year. In that time I've managed to attract a small group of regular readers, some of whom did me the honour of putting a link on their own blog. All of those kind souls that linked to me are in my sidebar, at least the ones I know of. They're all blogs that I enjoy reading regularly.

Unfortunately, one of those blogs will no longer be updated. The man known to his readers as Doddery Old Fart sadly passed away yesterday morning. He posted his final blog entry just the day before.

It's funny how you can become a part of someone's life even without ever having met them. With the little bits we allow the world to share via our blogs we invite them into our lives and make them a part of it.

I was hoping that on our next trip to New Zealand we could have met up with the old fart and had a beer or two and maybe a meat pie as we passed through his neck of the woods and admired his newly filled potholes. That won't happen now, but I guess we can still stop off at the Awakino Hotel and have one for him. It's on my to-do list.

Donna and I drank a toast to Doddery tonight. We never met him, and that's our loss.

Rest in Peace Simon.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hi Steve.
I'm sorry to learn that as I enjoyed his blogs.
Thanks for the information.
Sympathies to his wife and family, and his workmates.
Dave.