19 October 2007

Come with me

and you'll be.

In a world of pure imagination.

I caught a bit of Australian Idol tonight. One of the contestants is a bandsman in the navy. Listening to him sing, he reminds me a bit of Harry Conick Jr, and he's not a bad horn player.

I used to play the trumpet. Now I never played it long enough to get good at it, but I liked to tell people I had a 21 inch horn, even longer with a mouthpiece on it.

The thing is, this Idol contestant, whose name I don't even know was singing one of my favourite songs.

Scroll back up for a hint.

I haven't been following the series much this year, so I don't know really what they're like. One contestant, Brianna, reminded me a lot of a friend of mine, but I suspect my friend had better pitch control, and Brianna got voted out a few weeks ago. So this navy guy is my pick to win this year.

Anyway, in a round about way, this blog entry is a way of saying, "we saw a famous person last night".

We went to the Dockside Comedy Bar last night for Jess's birthday, which is tomorrow. I can thoroughly recommend it (the comedy bar and Jess's birthday). Anyway, during one of the breaks between acts, those of us that didn't need to, were outside with those that needed to (smoke). I looked over toward the entrance and there was a guy chatting to one of the staff, and he had the biggest afro I've seen in a long time.

"That's... um... Side Show Bobby", I said, as discreetly as possible. I'm sorry, but I couldn't think of his surname at the time. Being the designated driver (actually I volunteered so I didn't have to listen to Sarah's crap music, which would have happened if she drove) my mind was a bit twisted by orange juice. Anyway, I drew attention to him and everyone agreed it was him. It was Bobby Flynn, from last year's Idol. Oh, and the hair is much bigger in person than it is on the tele.

Now I quite liked Bobby. A lot of people said he had an original sound, which I disagree with. He reminded me of Boz Scaggs, someone you're average Idol viewer would be too young to remember. I just wish he'd hurry up and get his album out.

Getting back to who I'd like to see win this year's Idol, here's a reminder of what Gene Wilder sounded like when he sang, Pure Imagination.

1 comment:

Dave said...

We don't get the Australian Idol show here, but if he sounds like that he must be mighty. What a lovely song too? - Dave.