22 October 2007

Jacques Costeau, at one with nature

I've got this week off work and it feels great.

The reason I'm off, is because tomorrow I start the open water scuba diving course with Pro-Dive. The course involves two days of theory and pool dives, then two days of open water dives in the ocean, putting into practice what we learnt in the pool.

As I type this, I can see out the window that it's quite windy today. I'm hoping it's not too bad on Thursday and Friday as I sometimes get seasick. My brother Laurie, who is also doing the course, used to be in the navy and didn't have much trouble with seasickness unless it got really rough. I may have to pack some Kwells in my bag, just in case.

We used to be able to get a drug called Travecalm which was really good for motion sickness. Donna used to take one when ever I took her flying. It was taken off the market after it was found the manufacturers had serious problems with their quality control. Batches of Travecalm were going out with way to much of one of the ingredients and it was causing people to act strange after taking it.

Not the sort of thing you want at six thousand feet in a small aircraft.

Anyway, I'll naturally be blogging about the dive course, and I suspect Laurie will write a bit about it in his blog as well.

------------------------

And speaking of nature, we have two new additions to the family. Rufus and Rusty are a pair of orphaned ringtail possums. Rufus's mum came into our care last week after she had her tail run over by a car. Unfortunately, she died a couple of nights later. Rusty joined us yesterday as ringtails are best kept with others of their kind.

You can read about the two of them on our carer's blog, A Possum in my Pocket.

No comments: