05 July 2008

A little light reading

I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment. As my uni stuff for second semester hasn't all arrived yet I can't do much studying, so I'm taking the opportunity to read a book Donna bought me a couple of years ago.



It's about two inches thick and nearly 1700 pages. No it's not War and Peace, I tried reading a Tolstoy novel once, "Anna Karenina", it was so boring I never finished it. This one is actually a compendium of four of Darwin's books, "The Voyage of the Beagle", "On the Origin of the Species", "The Decent of Man" and "The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals".

I'm not actually as far into it as the photo above suggests, I'm only a short way into "The Voyage of the Beagle", but so far I'm finding it a really interesting read. It's a bit like reading an 1830s blog about someones holiday, as it was taken from Darwin's journal on his five year journey around the world in HMS Beagle.

If you've got a bit of time on your hands see if you can find a copy. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Old books can be interesting. I recenly read the original script of Robinson Crusoe. Strange English but I soon learned to skim it. Not much like the story I remembered. Hope you enjoy yours. - Dave

Steve said...

I read Kim, by Rudyard Kipling a couple of years ago. The movie was on yesterday and that didn't seem much like the book as far as I could remember.

It does take a little while to get used to the language, doesn't it.