01 August 2008

Solar cooking

A few months ago I saw an article in a magazine that showed a couple of pictures of people with solar cookers. I was amazed because the cookers were basically cardboard boxes with alfoil stuck to them.

I decided I was going to try it for myself.

The pictures below are the result. I got the plans from the solar cooking archive. Mine it the Fun-panel, chosen mainly because it seemed the easiest to make.

I found the hardest part was sticking the alfoil to the cardboard, probably because I assembled the cooker before sticking it on. Next time I'll try it the other way. You'll notice the cookers on the solar cooking archive's site all look a lot neater than mine.

Does it work?

Well as I write this I have a pot of gunpowder tea brewing out in the backyard, that's it in the pictures. Gunpowder tea doesn't need boiling water, 70 degrees Celsius is enough. I checked the temperature with a digital aquarium thermometer before putting the pot on. It got up to 53 degrees Celsius before I got sick of standing there holding it and I think that's as high as the thermometer would go anyway. The pot is inside an oven bag that acts like a greenhouse and keeps the heat in. They suggest you use a dark pot as it'll absorb the heat better, but I couldn't be bothered to look for one, I was too keen to try it out.

It certainly won't cook as quick as your electric kettle or stove top, but it's a fun and environmentally friendly way of doing it.

I'll let you know how the tea tasted later.


The finished cooker


A nice pot of chai... hopefully.


The other side. The box once contained a compost bin, how's that for recycling.

Edit at 12:39 - The tea was excellent. It was definitely hot enough, now to find some recipes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might get a hot cuppa in Brissie but you'd be struggling down here at the moment!

Dave said...

Same here - constant rain. What a natty idea though Steve, Don't forget to give us the results. Maybe you could cook a can of spaghetti on it? - Dave

Steve said...

I tried a couple of spuds in there on Saturday and took them out after about 3 hours. They looked like they needed another 3 hours.

I've discovered it gets over 70 degrees celsius, but don't know how much higher.

Unknown said...

You definitly need to use a dark pot with a lid. You should be able to cook pots of beans, chickens, everything. We do!

Enjoy,

Tom Sponheim
Solar Cookers International

Steve said...

Thanks Tom. It's definitely a work in progress at the moment and I'll keep everyone posted on my results.