21 November 2008

No more sleeping in

With the uni semester being finished and my exams out of the way the time has come. Time to get another job.

When I finished the old job in July, it was right at the beginning of the semester and I'd been concentrating on my studies and looking after any animals that came into care and needed regular feeds during the day.

I had applied for a couple of casual jobs during that time, but nothing came of them. As I have a truck licence, I was considering going for a job on the buses. After twelve years of customer service type work, I didn't really want to have to deal with customers again for a while

Then Donna said she could probably get me a job filling shelves at the supermarket where she works. In fact, her manager had already said he'd give me a job if I wanted one.

Now most of the shelf filling is done at night. Doing the night shift when you're married to someone that works days isn't much fun. But the dairy stuff is done in the morning from five till eight and that suits me fine.

So yesterday I had my induction (three hours of paperwork and watching DVDs) and now I'm a supermarket employee.

A couple of people have said to me, "Is that really what you want to do?"

Yes it is for now. I've spent the last twelve years sitting on my bum in front of a computer, the only exercise I got during the last eight of those years was walking to and from the bus. In this job I get plenty of exercise, I don't have to think much, rarely have to deal with customers and best of all, I'm home by ten past eight.

I've wasted a lot of time in the past few months just by sleeping in, but I still managed to average about 94% in my chemistry assignments, because I had the time to concentrate on being a student. Next year I'm doing three subjects per semester, hopefully I can do as well as I have this semester.

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the 5am starts, or wearing thermals in summer, but I'm looking forward to doing something different.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Good luck in the job Steve. - Dave