24 November 2008

You'll be freezing

That's what a few people said to me when they heard I was starting on dawn fill, including Donna.

Okay, it is a bit chilly when you're standing there with an open freezer door putting ice-cream away, and I'm usually cold in the freezer section when I'm shopping there, but it wasn't that bad. In fact I ended up having to remove the small sleeveless jacket I'd been wearing.

The people I'm working with are nice and friendly, and very helpful. I think the hardest part of the job is remembering where everything is, even though I shop there and have done for a few years now.

One thing that really annoyed me, and this is something that's annoyed me for a long time as a customer, is that some people can be so bloody lazy. A customer picks up an item off the shelf, walks a few feet further on, then sees something they prefer. Rather than walk the couple of feet back to where they got the first item to put it back, they just leave it where they're standing at the time.

It's even worse when they get something from a freezer (those big things with the glass doors), then decide they don't want it when they're standing near the dairy cabinet (fridges without doors), or somewhere that's not even refrigerated. Buy the time we find it it's too late to put it back in the freezer, so it has to be thrown away.

Luckily, the customers aren't in the store when we're working, that's a big plus. Going home when everyone else is just starting feels good too.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Very ignorant of people Steve. A bit like that here. Makes you wonder about them.. Glad your first day went well. - Dave

caramaena said...

I normally don't mind working in cooler places - much easier to put on another layer to keep warm. 5am starts though? My 7am's are hard enough!