24 April 2009

Another trip away

I just got back yesterday from another trip to Armidale.

I was away for ten days this time for two res schools at the uni, animal behaviour and intro to geographical information systems, both very interesting subjects.

Next Saturday I have to head down there again for another res school, this one is conservation biology andd is being held about 130 kilometres from Armidale at Mt Hyland Wilderness Retreat. I'll be spending one night in Armidale, then driving to Mt Hyland the next day.

As I had a day off between subjects last Saturday, I thought I'd drive out and have a look at the route to Mt Hyland. Someone in my class had asked about the drive there and wondered if it would be okay to take her little Hyundai. Our lecturer recommended she go on the minibus instead and I can now see why.

Our Subaru Forester will do it okay, but I don't think I would have taken our old Subaru Impreza. I'm not even sure I'd take my brother's Honda CRV.

Here's a few piccies I took on the day.


The first water crossing, more of a ford than a creek.


I'd just got back in the car after taking the previous pic and saw these guys waddling toward me.


I can't help thinking this would be a bit slippery in the wet.


The second water crossing. This one came up over the door sills. I'd be taking the minibus if I had a smaller car.

2 comments:

Madonna said...

It had better not rain to much between now and next Saturday or you won't be taking our car either. :)

Madonna said...

P.S. Wish I was going with you instead of working :(