16 September 2006

A luvly crop'a taties

We had a bit of a harvest today.

Those potatoes I'm holding were all grown in a couple of styrofoam containers like the one you can see behind me. That one has strawberries growing in it.

There's another two rows of potatoes behind those two black pots you can see.

The books tell you to harvest about a month after they flower, but these haven't flowered at all. My experience with pontiacs in the past is that if the leaves start to look like the plant is dying, as these did, then it's time to dig 'em up.

You probably can't tell from the picture, but that potato at the top is about the size of a grapefruit.

You might be curious about what else is in the vege garden. You might not be either, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Behind the styrofoam container is about a dozen sweetcorn plants interplanted with sunflowers. Behind that is silverbeet, or chard, or spinach, whatever your favourite name for it is. There's a capsicum plant behind the silverbeet that I moved from one of the black pots.

Behind to potatoes are three rows of carrots and next to them are some marigolds that grow like weeds, but they're good for the carrots and add some nice colour to the garden.

To the right of the picture you can just see the shiraz grapevine and right at the back, in amongst the lemongrass is a passionfruit vine.

Oh and I just planted some cabbage seeds where I moved the potatoes from, hopefully they'll do alright.

And in case you're wondering, I am smiling in the photo. It's just that my beard needs a trim and it's hiding my lips.

--------

About ten minutes after my wife took the photo it bucketed down rain again.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

caramaena said...

That's a pretty good veg garden you've got going there.

Throw in some apple cucumbers and it'd be perfect ;)

Steve said...

Funny you should say that. I was thinking of planting some lebanese cucumbers.

caramaena said...

apple cucumbers are the best though. I eat them like apples too - peel and eat, yum!