02 September 2006

Spring and a young man's thoughts turn to...

With all the rain we've had this week our pond is full to the brim. Last night all you could hear was the popping sound of frogs. They sounded like a full on table tennis tournament.

Below is the result. No it's not a new laundry detergent with blue bits to get your wash extra clean. That's frog spawn and hopefully most of it will grow up to be loads of little Striped Marsh frogs (Limnodynastes peronii).

As we have fish in the pond, I've taken a few of the eggs out to give them a bit of a head start. Once the tadpoles start to swim around I'll put them back in the pond.

The last time I found eggs in the pond we could actually see the ebryos wriggling inside. The fish got that lot though.

These will probably be tadpoles in a couple of days and I'll take some more photos then.

This is our grapevine.

I've always wanted to have a big enough block of land that we could plant a few rows of wine grapes and make our own wine every year. Unfortunately, we only have a suburban block so we have to make do with one vine growing over the fence of the vege garden for now.

For those that know their grapevines, this one is a Shiraz. I don't think it'll ever give us enough fruit to make any wine, but it should look nice when it grows up a bit.

Incidentally, we do occasionally make our own wine from a kit and it's not a bad drop, if I do say so myself.

 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

caramaena said...

I love grapevines to look at. Growing up we had a vine over the back fence.

Be firm with it though. Here we keep ripping the vine out but it keeps coming back (and taking over the whole back yard).