01 April 2007

How to become rich beyond your wildest dreams

One of my workmates has been looking for a way to make a bit of money on the side and has recently been looking into e-commerce. A couple of weeks ago he heard about The Rich Pom and asked me if I'd heard of him. I hadn't, so I looked into it to find out what he was all about. Apparently this guy could help you become incredibly wealthy just sitting on your bum at home using the internet.

It didn't take me long to find out that he's a scam artist, a rip-off of another guy in the US called The Rich Jerk. When I say rip-off, The Rich Jerk sells you a book on how to make money from affiliate marketing. That book will set you back $7.95. The Rich Pom copied the book, made a few minor changes, and sells it to you for $79.

But what's affiliate marketing, I hear you say.

If you've heard of Amway, that's a form of affiliate marketing. Regular visitors here will have probably noticed some extra banners on the page, that's also affiliate marketing. It's basically a way of advertising. You definitely won't make a fortune from it, that Adsense banner that's been on my blog for months has made me about ninety cents so far. But I was curious so I thought I'd try a few banners for a couple of months and see if I can at least make enough money for a beer in that time.

The photos I have on Fotolia have made me enough for about two beers so far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And chances are that the book tells you to copy the book and sell it to others, who then copy the book and sell it to others. Bloody scammers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve

I completely disagree. I live in Sydney and bought he rich jerk about 18 months ago. When I heard of the rich pom, I also bought his stuff and it is different. It's targeted on Australia and more importantly, it's better written than the rich jerk.
Another thing, the rich jerk is not $7.95, lol

Steve said...

It's interesting that the person supporting the rich pom posted anonymously. That says it all to me.

caramaena said...

I've never heard of either of these people but when you mention amw@y I know I won't go near it with a ten foot pole.

Anonymous said...

Saying that affiliate marketing is like Amway is a bit naive. They are nothing alike. I've been involved with both.
Amway relies on you sponsoring other people and buying products from yourself to create sales volume and earn bonus commissions.
Affiliate marketing is nothing like that. There is no recruiting involved. And it's actually prohibited by most affiliate companies for you to buy products through your own link.
There is money to be made from affiliate marketing IF you have the knowhow and the dedication to treat it like a REAL business.
It is not an overnight get rich quick scheme, you have to work at it like any business.And if affiliate marketing doesn't work then why would all the major companies rely on it to promote their products.

Steve said...

Affiliate marketing is a great tool for those doing the marketing, because it's cheap for them. That's why major companies use it, I don't know about relying on it though.

My point was, most of these schemes are pushed as something where you can make a heap of money on the side by doing not much. the only people that make money from Amway are the ones that treat it as a full time business.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I recently have been researching different get rich topics and so far they all make big promises and then they tell you to save money, buy low, sell high, rinse, wash, and repeat. So far NOTHING has stood out except maybe
rich dad poor dad, because the author comes right out and says that, and then continues to say, yes it sounds cheezy, but this apeareantly common sense bit of info maybe isn't so common sense after all, but if it is to you and you still haven't made it, then it's because you need disciplin and you don't practice what you preach. Which honestly was the most refreshing thing I've heard from any of this get rich crap.