21 October 2006

Bridge testing

The Riverside Expressway is still closed to traffic.

They tested parts of it yesterday to see what happened to the crack as a heavy weight was placed on it. They did this by driving a full water truck, weighing 22 tonnes over it. If you're not sure how much 22 tonnes is, the papers reckon it's one and a half times the weight of a fully laden bus.

Picture the scene.

Doddery turns up with his truck full of water.

"Where do you want this water spread Bro?"*

An important looking chap with a clipboard says, "We don't want it spread, we want you to drive backwards and forwards over the crack to see what happens".

There's a pause, a very long one.

"You, want me, to drive over the crack and see what happens???" replies Doddery, wondering if it's April first.

"It's okay," says Clipboard, "It's perfectly safe. We just want to take some measurements."

Doddery looks around at the empty road. Empty, because the bridge might collapse if they let traffic onto it.

"You drive the truck and I'll take the measurements for you."

Well, they did their tests. I don't know what brave soul did the driving, but I hope he got paid extra for the job, even if it was only in meat pies.

------

* I'm not sure if Doddery actually says Bro, but over here we all assume that Kiwis all say Bro, and Fush 'n Chups. I had some choice fush and chups at Akaroa when I was there in May this year.

1 comment:

Dodderyoldfart said...

Tell you what, I'd slip the "used" water to you afterwards....

(a feed of fush & chups would do the job, Bro)