15 January 2007

Duty free

I've been trying to find out what the duty free limits are for Vietnam.

Now you'd think that would be a simple task, and it probably would be if we were only taking booze with us. But Donna rolls her own cigarettes and every site I look at has a different amount that's allowed. Some say 100 grams, some say 250 grams which is the amount you can bring into Australia. One site even says 500 grams, that's 10 pouches of tobacco. The official Vietnam Customs website says the amount is only 50 grams, but I can't help thinking that's a typo as 50 grams is only one pouch. I think you can only buy duty free tobacco in 250 gram packs anyway.

I might have to tell Donna it's time to give up the cigarettes. She can smoke my cigars if she likes.

Speaking of the trip to Vietnam, my brother Laurie and his family are in Taiwan at the moment. Actually they'll probably be reading this entry from Singapore. Laurie told me by e-mail yesterday that frequent flyer members can check-in via the internet up to 48 hours before the flight. Laurie didn't know this before they flew to Taiwan and the Singapore Airlines changed their flight at the last minute so they ended up with the worst seats and had to sit seperately.

Going on Laurie's advice, I'm staying up until 11:45 on Thursday night to make sure we get the best seats we can on the Brisbane to Singapore leg. When I get to work the next morning (if I'm not still asleep) I'll be checking in for the Singapore to Hanoi leg.

No comments: