19 January 2007

Full up inside

We had a full load on the bus home yesterday.

Normally the bus has just enough passengers that everyone has a seat to themselves, or rather two seats, as in there's no-one sitting next to them. Yesterday we got to the William Street stop, which is the last stop before we leave the city, and a lot of people got on that usually don't catch our bus. It turns out that the 267, the bus that's usually in front of us, had blown it's front suspension. They'd gone round the corner at the end of William Street, there was an almighty bang, and the bus kneeled down. The air suspension had popped so to speak.

We pulled up in front of the disabled bus and heaps of passengers, some of whom I'd seen get on at my stop, all got on our bus, and a lot of them ended up standing all the way to Capalaba. And if you're wondering how Capalaba is pronounced, the emphasis is on the second "a".

The funny thing was watching them all get off at Capalaba interchange, where another bus was waiting. If you've ever seen Monty Python's Life of Brian, the scene where the People's Front of Judea's meeting gets raided by the centurions, it was just like that. I was tempted to look around to see if people were getting on at the back and then getting off at the front, then getting on again at the back. The procession seemed to go for ages.

------

Still on the topic of buses. I was on the way to work this morning, half asleep from staying up last night. As we got into the city, we went through an intersection and there were three pedestrians waiting to cross the road. The one in the middle was John Howard, our prime minister, out for his morning walk. I really wish I could have opened the window, I could have said something really deep and meaningful to him like, "PFFFT!!!", or "Oi, Bonsai!"

------

Anyway, I'm on holidays now. My next post will hopefully either be from Singapore airport or the Hoa Binh hotel in Hanoi.

2 comments:

caramaena said...

I love The Life Of Brian - I know the scene you mean and that must have been amusing :)

Enjoy the holiday!

David said...

A few years ago when I was in Australia visiting my sister in Sydney, one of my nephews was there also. He was on a cultural exchange directing a play at the Opera House. During rehearals someone told him that John Howard was on the phone inviting him to lunch the next day. Anthony, not knowing who John Howard was said he was too busy and declined the invite. That evening he came round to a family gathering at my sisters and told of this phone call. We all had a good laugh and my sister told him who John Howard was. After a few seconds pause Anthony said, "Nobody important then."

I liked the Hanai trip. Shame it is so far from the UK.