18 January 2007

Booking seats

It's quarter to eleven at the moment, in the PM (and I don't mean prime minister).

I'm waiting until quarter to twelve so I can check in for our flight on Saturday night. Donna doesn't think I can make it, especially considering I have to get up at five-thirty in the morning to get ready for work.

It's just that I've done plenty of long flights before and I've accepted what ever seats they've assigned me. Now that I know I've got a choice, I'm going to try and make sure we get the best seats we can. I'm going for the exit seats at the front of the economy section. Heaps of leg room, and you get to chat to the crew when you take off and land. Failing that, I at least want seats where you have a half decent view, not obscured by a wing.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled as far as flying is concerned. I've had views from aircraft that people would pay a fortune for, and I got it for free. I've flown an Antonov AN2 from both sides of the flight deck. I've been up in an Agcat doing banner tows, a Tiger Moth, a Yak 52 doing aerobatics. When you get stuck in an aisle seat up the back for an fourteen hour flight between Singapore and Heathrow it's very depressing. Especially when you have difficulty sleeping sitting up like I do.

Incidentally, all those aircraft in the pics are the actual aircraft I've been up in, although the Yak has been repainted and then crashed since I last went up in it. When I did a Google search for VH-UVB the Tiger Moth, I actually came up with my own photos. Try it yourself.

Anyway, it's now quarter past eleven, so I'm going to sit here for the next half an hour and wait.

-------

An update at midnight.

We didn't get window seats for the Brisbane to Singapore leg, but then it's an overnight flight, so that's not too bad. For the Singapore to Hanoi leg we've got window seats in the second row of economy, which means we should have a view over the wing.

The link to the picture of the Yak-52 isn't actually the one I went up in, although it has the same registration. The one I went up in was re-registered and when Barry Hempel, the owner of the one I went up in, bought another one, he registered it as VH-ULT. As I said earlier, if you google VH-UVB you'll find some of my own pics taken ages ago.

Night all.

No comments: