07 July 2007

Here's a tip

I was trying to think of something really profound as my first anniversary blog post. Blogger has been really flaky just lately. I don't get e-mails to say someone has posted a comment, and for this particular post, I can't even add a title. I may have to move. So I'm going to post while pissed.

Anyway, I wanted to post something really important. I wanted to post something relevant to anyone thats ever been in a kitchen. I wanted to tell you how not to cry when you're peeling onions.

A couple of months ago I was listening to Dr Karl on Triple J while sitting in a minibus coming back from mapping a dry creek bed on a geology residential. There was a guy on the show talking about the fact that, if you had a mouthful of beer while cutting onions, you wouldn't cry. This guy reckoned he'd experimented, and he'd found that a mouthful of beer while cutting onions was the only thing that would stop you crying. Well, not being one to blindly believe some stranger, I thought I test his theory the other day when Donna asked me to cut the onion up for dinner.

Legend that he is, I thought of Dr Karl. I just had to test the theory, especially since I'm studying science at uni. So, I took a mouthful of white wine and proceeded to cut the onion.

Try it for yourself. It works. It may work with water, I don't know, but I certainly didn't have the urge to sob in our dinner. I've been known to take over from Sarah (youngest stepdaughter) after she tried to cut onions for dinner, because she was getting too teary.

Try it for yourself and let me know how you get on. Better still, let Dr Karl know how you got on. I'd be curious to know if it would work with a mouthful of water. It certainly works with a cheap chardonnay.

Did I mention this is my first anniversary post and also my mum's birthday. I'd post her e-mail address so you could wish her a happy birthday, but I can't remember what it is. You'll just have to leave a message on mum and dad's blog.

4 comments:

caramaena said...

Happy blogiversary :)

I had problems with my last post too. I was able to put in a title but then couldn't change it. If you move, make sure you let me know so I can update my links.

btw I love Dr Karl's books/shows etc.

Steve said...

I've just re-read that entry while sober. It's certainly not my best work.

I don't think I'll edit it though.

Dave said...

Ha ha. Pays to stay sober while writing. Never know, you may offend someone....?
Happy blog anniversary. Dave

Steve said...

The trouble is, some of the best inspiration comes while you're pissed. It's just that my grammar sucks at the same time.

Having said that, I once wrote a 3000 word short story while I was in the shower, sort of. I've also come up with some really inspired writing while sitting on the throne.