15 July 2007

It comes to all of us eventually

... or at least the men. Women have their own uncomfortable procedures done to them by doctors.

I had a bit of a problem with the waterworks on Friday. Nothing serious, it's just that whenever I went for a pee I felt like I hadn't finished. By Friday night I was shivering like I've never shivered before and went to bed with a fever.

"You've got a bladder infection," said Donna, "and it won't get better by itself."

So off I went to the doctor on Saturday morning, now feeling constipated and finding it uncomfortable to sit down as well.

He got me to pee in a container, asked me a few questions, then got me to lay on the bench while he poked and prodded my abdomen and my kidneys.

Then he said the words that will send a shiver up any man's spine.

"Roll onto your side and I'll check your prostate."

He told me the lube would feel a bit cold. I couldn't care less what temperature the lube was. Cold lube is no where near as uncomfortable as having someone's finger up your bum.

They say that at forty you have a forty percent chance of having prostate trouble, at fifty a fifty percent chance and so on. At least I know that at forty two there's nothing wrong with my prostate.

The antibiotics should fix up the bladder infection pretty quickly. I hope so because my bum's still sore.

4 comments:

caramaena said...

Ah the indignities. I sympathise and hope you're feeling better soon.

Steve said...

The antibiotics have done wonders.

Dave said...

Good on you Steve for having the guts to bring up the subject of prostate cancer. It's a big killer as any form of cancer is, and in spite of the indignity of a doctors inspection, and I have had some of those too, the experience is worth it whether the prostate is infected or the relief to know it's not. Cheers, Dave.

David said...

Similar problem with my bladder last year. If it happens aagain I will tell the doctor I checked my prostate half an hour ago and it was fine.