28 July 2007

Kinda creepy

My brother Laurie and I are going SCUBA diving in October. We're doing the open water course with Pro-Dive Brisbane.

Because of my interest in photography and wildlife, I thought I'd get myself a camera that I could use when I'm diving. The dSLR I usually use for photography would be too expensive to use as a diving camera as the waterproof housing would cost a couple of thousand dollars, and I'm not sure I'd want to risk it anyway. So, I bought a second hand Olympus c-5050, an underwater flash and a new waterproof housing for it, all for about a quarter of what the dSLR cost.

Now I've been meaning to try the housing out underwater for a couple of weeks. Since we have a pond in the backyard, I thought I'd try photographing the goldfish in there, below is the result.



There's a lot of sediment in the water which has caused backscatter from the built in flash. I could have used the strobe, but it would have stuck out of the water as the pond isn't very deep at that spot.

When we initially put the goldfish in the pond there were only three of them. After two or three years there's now a lot more than that. The thing is though, we only put goldfish in there.

So what's that sitting on the bottom? Click on it to enlarge and have a closer look.

Whatever it is, it's about 5 inches long and has eyes. Next time I put my hands in that pond I'm wearing my diving gloves, just in case it takes a liking to me.

2 comments:

caramaena said...

How bizarre. Axolotl that's crawled over from a nearby pond?

Steve said...

We had catfish in the tank with the goldfish before they went into the pond. There must have been some dormant eggs in the water that finally found the right conditions in the pond.