14 December 2006

We beat Sydney... again

According to the news, there were fifty thousand people at each of the Robbie Williams concerts in Sydney. According to the man himself, there were fifty five thousand at Suncorp Stadium last night, and Donna and I were part of that number.

Suncorp Stadium is a football ground, mainly rugby league. Because they don't want people throwing full bottles at players on the field, you can't take a bottle of water in there unless you remove and throw away the cap. Obviously the mob in charge of security can't tell the difference between a football match and a concert, because they were making everybody take their lids off.

I thought I was being clever by taking a water bottle that had its own pouch on a belt, that way I wouldn't have to hold onto the bottle for the whole show. Because I couldn't remove the lid completely I had to leave my bottle and pouch in the cloakroom at a cost of $5.

Donna later bought a bottle of water inside, with the lid left on.

That little whinge aside, it was a great concert. The fireworks started, the music built up, and everyone was wondering where he was and where he was going to appear, then all of a sudden he popped up through a hole in the stage.

Apart from the visual spectacle of the whole thing, one of the highlights for me was the songs he did with his best mate Jonathon Wilkes. If you're as old as me, you'll remember Morecambe and Wise and the little dance they used to do when they sang "Bring me Sunshine". They did a bit of that plus a little dance that, I think, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore used to do.

Seeing twenty to thirty thousand people down in front of the stage waving their arms in the air as he sang "Monsoon" was really surreal.

One thing that amazed Donna and I was how much the stadium was bouncing. You could literally feel it bouncing under your feet as people stood up and danced to the music. It made us both glad we were in the upper part of the stadium and not underneath. If you've ever stood on a bridge while a lot of heavy traffic passes over it, it was like that. In the stadium though, it wasn't a rumble, it was to the beat.

Anyway, I had a camera with me, but it's a... shock, horror... film camera, so I don't know how the photos came out yet. If they're okay I'll put some on here.

It's funny, I resisted going digital for so long. Now the thought of having to get a film developed seems strange. Why didn't I take my digital? Because it's a big dSLR and security wouldn't have let me take it in.

No comments: