15 August 2007

Drop your pants and lie on the bed

I had my ultrasound today.

I know a lot of people that have been for ultrasounds. Any woman that has had a baby would have had one, but it turns out a lot of guys have had them too.

Most tell the same story. You drink your litre of water before you leave home, then you sit in the waiting room for ages with your legs crossed and your bum cheeks bouncing up and down on the chair. One guy I know from work actually got up while he was waiting for his and told the receptionist that it wasn't so much a case of when he could pee, but where, and informed her that the flower pot in the corner was starting to look pretty inviting.

I must have been lucky. I was just starting to get to the wriggling stage when my name was called, ten minutes before my appointment time.

I was told to drop my trousers and lie down on the bench, or bed, or table, or whatever that thing is in doctor's surgeries. The doctor then slapped on some lube and started doing the scan.

Now I'd been told this was uncomfortable, mainly because you're lying there with a full bladder and someone is pushing really hard on it. If anything I found it more ticklish than uncomfortable.

Once the initial scan was done, I was told to go and have a pee and to take as long as I needed. This was good as I've gotten into the habit of taking a book in with me whenever I go for a pee. I'm getting through Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series at a rate on one every two days.

So, after peeing as much as I could, I went back into the room and the doctor continued the scan, doing my abdomen again, then my sides. I found the sides more uncomfortable, mainly because they tend to get pretty close into your ribs.

Once that was over I went across the road to a pathology lab for a blood test to check if my prostate is OK and took the opportunity while I was there to use their facilities (have another pee).

Now I know the big grey envelope with the results in has a seal on it saying it's not to be opened by anyone but the referring doctor, but I never take notice of that. I won't tell you what the results were, not until I've discussed them with my doctor, but it doesn't look like there's any kidney stones. The peeing problem will hopefully go away with a different course of antibiotics.

Hopefully, I should now be right to go for my dive medical later this month, in preparation for the course in October.

No comments: