28 August 2007

Little visitors

We have a few visitors staying with us at the moment while Jess, who is a wildlife carer is away on holidays for a week.

This is Lucky, he's an orphaned brushtail possum. As he's a bit dehydrated at the moment, Donna's bottle feeding him twice a day.



We're looking after two possums. Lucky is only 300g, his little mate Mogwai is even smaller. He's so small in fact that he's sitting in my jacket pocket as I type this.

We also have a couple of reptiles staying with us. You may have seen Willy, the one eyed snake before if you're a regular reader.




Willy was rescued after being attacked by birds. He's about twice the size he was when he was rescued (probably about a metre now).

The other critter is a blue tongue lizard that was rescued from someone who was keeping her illegally as a pet and had over fed her. She's now a lot closer to her correct weight, but is unlikely to ever be returned to the wild as she's too used to humans.

I'll tell you more about our little visitors at a later date, and show you more pics. It's a bit awkward typing with Mogwai in my pocket as I'm afraid I might knock him with my arm. I'm also afraid he might pee in my pocket.

Incidentally, if you're living in the Brisbane area and don't have plans for this Saturday, BARN are having an open day at Willawong animal shelter. Check their website for details under coming events.

2 comments:

caramaena said...

Oh how cute is Lucky! Sorry, no offence to Willy but I'm just not a snake person.

I hope your pocket remained un-wee'd in :D

Anonymous said...

Lucky is really Cute I wish their was more pics of the rest of the bunch that must be really cool having all of them living with you.